Dear Readers in Christ, "Draw near to GOD, and He will draw near to you" (James 4:8).

Tuesday 22 October 2013

Oct 22 - RESIST DISCOURAGEMENT



To overcome discouragement we need to first know how it comes. Discouragement comes when we, instead of looking at God and His Word, look at the surroundings and the situation we are in. Your eyes are on the problems and not on the One Who solves the problems. So, to overcome discouragement, we should take our eyes off our problems, and fix them on the Lord. That’s why we read in Hebrews 12:1,2 “Let us run the race with patience looking at Jesus…” The next verse says, “Consider Him that endured such contradiction.” Looking at Jesus is, looking at the promises He has given us. II Corinthians 1:3 says our God is the God of all comfort. In the original tongue, it is ‘God of all encouragement’.

When everything went wrong in Ziklag, when all the houses were burnt, the women and children taken captive, and all the people were greatly distressed, David encouraged himself in the Lord. When going through the dark path, instead of confessing his misery, he says, “The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?”

Dear child of God, you may be going through sickness. Instead of speaking of the symptoms, the weakness and the pain, confess, “By His stripes I am healed.” In your poverty confess, “My God shall supply all my needs!” At times when no one is near to help you, shout, “The Lord is my refuge and strength, a very present help in time of trouble!” When sad things happen, say, “God is my exceeding joy.” When you are weak, say, “The Lord is my strength.” When hungry say, “Jesus is the Bread of Life”; when thirsty say, “He is the Fountain of Living Water”; when everything is dark and gloomy say, “He is my Light”; amidst confusion, say, “He is my Peace”; when it looks as if you’ve lost all, say, “He is my All-in-all!” Then you’ll not only be encouraged but will be able to encourage others too.

– Taken from Morning Manna – Thoughts for Daily Devotion

No comments:

Post a Comment